Charles Fyffe House

15 Cannon Street. ca.1765

Dr. Charles Fyffe, a Scottish physician, came to SC in 1748 and soon became one of Georgetown's leading citizens, he was a charter member of the Charleston Library society and one of the first stewards of the Winyah Indigo Society. In 1763 he bought the lot on which this house was to be built and and erected the house soon thereafter as his residence.

His ownership came to an unhappy end. When the colonists rebelled against the mother country, Fyffe remained loyal to Great Britain. As a consequence he was banished and his property confiscated and sold. He never regained his home. The Fyffe House is a two-and-1/2 story Georgian style house. The main part of the house is under the pyramidal roof supported by a king post trussing system.
  Georgetown & Northern Lowcountry  
Copyright
[an error occurred while processing this directive]