Winyah Indigo Society


Photo courtesy: Photo Arts, Inc., Winnsboro, SC
Photo by Ernest Ferguson
Chartered by King George II in 1758, the coastal society grew from the old Convivial Club, organized in 1740, as a result of the prosperous growth of the indigo plant. The present building was build in 1853 to serve the society and has been used as a school, meeting place, library, and as a hospital for Federal troops during the Civil War.
  Georgetown & Northern Lowcountry  
Copyright